ELKINS KALT WEINTRAUB REUBEN GARTSIDE LLP is a full-service law firm with a focus on the following practice areas: Real Estate and Finance, Land Use and Environmental, Tax, Estate Planning, Corporate, Securities, Hospitality and Leisure, Investment Advisor/Broker-Dealer, Litigation and Family Law.
Scott M. Kalt
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, cum laude
B.A., University of Michigan, with highest distinction
In his practice, Scott represents landlords and tenants in leasing office, industrial, telecommunications, and retail projects throughout California. He represents both buyers and sellers in the transfer of commercial, retail, industrial, residential, hotel and studio properties. With respect to financing, he represents financial institutions and borrowers in connection with real estate secured loans and problem loan workouts. Scott has also helped resolve numerous partnership disputes over the years. He has significant experience structuring joint ventures on behalf of both the “money” and “developer” partners.
Scott has also been involved in the preparation and negotiation of hotel management/franchise agreements on behalf of numerous owners.
• Represented sponsor in negotiation of numerous preferred equity investments with opportunity fund on hotel developments throughout United States
• On behalf of a hotel owner, negotiated and documented the re-financing and re-capitalization of two hotel properties, involving a new joint venture agreement between the
sponsor and a REIT
• Represented REIT in negotiations of 100,000 square feet lease with television station at TV Studio
• Represented trustee in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving complex ownership structure with respect to over 100 properties
• Legal counsel on behalf of tenants and landlords in numerous leases of office space in excess of 50,000 rentable square feet throughout California
• Lead counsel for REIT in acquisition and disposition of over $10 billion of commercial properties throughout California and the western United States
• Represented landlord in the leasing/licensing of telecommunication facilities in downtown Los Angeles
• Represented land banker in the negotiation of over $1 billion of land banking transactions with publicly-traded homebuilders throughout the United States
• Negotiation of numerous joint ventures on behalf of sponsor with money partners
• Represented developer in joint venture and land assemblage/land use issues for development of mixed-use projects in downtown Long Beach
• Primary counsel for investor in acquisition and financing of studio projects in Hollywood, including structuring joint venture arrangement with institutional equity partner
• Represented investors in formation of investment funds to acquire a variety of distressed real estate assets
• Represented major landlords of commercial space in over 5,000 office lease transactions (valued at approximately $25 billion).
• Handled acquisition of promissory notes on discounted basis and subsequent foreclosures on behalf of numerous investors
• Represented developer in development of medical office buildings on ground leasehold interests adjacent to hospitals throughout western United States
State Bar of California
American Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Resolving Troubled Commercial Real Estate Loans for Financial Institutions
Awards and Recognition
Named one of the top 20 lawyers under 40 in the State of California, May 2002
Frequent speaker on office and retail leasing issues and negotiation of hotel management agreements;
Frequent speaker on structuring joint venture arrangements;
Frequent speaker on negotiating acquisition and disposition agreements
Speaker at annual USC Real Estate Conference – 2011, 2012