ELKINS KALT WEINTRAUB REUBEN GARTSIDE LLP is a full-service law firm with a focus on the following practice areas: Real Estate and Finance, Land Use and Environmental, Tax, Estate Planning, Corporate, Securities, Hospitality and Leisure, Investment Advisor/Broker-Dealer, Litigation and Family Law.
David A. Alvarado
J.D., UCLA School of Law
B.A., California State Polytechnic University, summa cum laude
On the development and construction front, David’s expertise includes the preparation and negotiation of various professional services, architecture and construction agreements, and shopping center and industrial/business park CC&Rs and REAs. On the leasing/property management front, David’s expertise includes the preparation and negotiation of leases, assignment agreements, subleases, lease amendments, termination agreements, lease workouts and restructure agreements, guarantees, letters of credit and brokerage and commission agreements. With respect to financing, David has represented Borrowers in connection with real estate secured transactions.
• Acquisitions. Assisted in the representation of institutional owners in the acquisitions of various commercial properties totaling approximately 2.7 million square feet of space and an aggregate investment of approximately $1 billion.
• JV Agreement for the Development of Upscale Apartments. Represented a financial partner in connection with the formation and negotiation of a limited liability company by and between institutional developer and financial partner formed to acquire and develop a 270 unit luxury apartment complex, in Phoenix, Arizona, including the drafting and negotiating of related documents.
• 720,000 rsf Office Project Lease (named Daily Journal’s “Deal of the Year”). Represented an institutional landlord in the largest Los Angeles-based office lease signed in the past 10 years.
• Redevelopment of Major Regional Mall. Lead attorney drafting and negotiating all deal documents in connection with the redevelopment of a major regional mall, which redevelopment will include a substantial re-tenanting of the mall. The deal documents include amendments to or termination of various leases to accommodate new tenants, new major tenant leases, amendments to CC&Rs and development agreements.
• Owner-Occupied Custom Home Compound in Los Angeles Area. Lead attorney for one of the largest, owner-occupied residential construction and improvement projects underway in the Los Angeles area. Drafted all design, engineering, consulting, construction and related agreements.
• Multi-Use Project in San Diego, California. Drafted consulting, architecture, engineering and related agreement in connection with a large multi-use project to be located on the corner of Del Mar Heights Road and El Camino Real in the Carmel Valley area of San Diego, California. The project is currently in the entitlements phase and is contemplated to include hotel, retail, civic, recreational and residential uses, plus structured parking.
• Ground Sublease Lease with National Restaurant Chain. Represented client, the owner of a major regional mall, in connection with the ground lease of land from an anchor owing its parcel at the mall and then in the negotiation of a ground sublease to a national retail chain for the operation of a restaurant.
Awards & Recognition
Named to Real Estate Forum's Tomorrow's Leaders in Southern California (2015)
Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers' Southern California Rising Stars (2014 and 2015)
State Bar of California